Scott Ehrlich wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Mark Weaver wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:21:34 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

William L. Maltby wrote:

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 09:33 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Peter Farrell wrote:

"Problem is I want a REAL router/firewall with little work."

Run a smoothwall installtion and replace your CentOS install.

http://www.smoothwall.org/

well first challenge is my unit's USB ethernet dongles. Centos
uses the RTL 8150 driver for them. Smoothwall only lists the RTL
8129, 8139, and 8169...

I've used this at home for years. I don't know if it's suitable,
but it seems *very* flexible. Allows for NAT or not, has typical
zones, reporting, IPTables modification support, ...

http://www.ipcop.org/

Has run/tested successfully on various configurations here. It's
another "ditch your CentOS" solution though. But you can put it on
any old junk laying around and it'ss probably work. Using cable
modem in the boonies, 486DX/66 gives about 450KB/sec, Pentium
200MHz pci gives <= 700MB/sec - both from decent sites. Tested
using both ISA and PCI bus adapters through both twisted pair and
thin coax.

As I thought about things this morning, trying to put up smoothwall,
I realized that one of my goals is to have a tool to turn a Centos
system that I am using for foo, into a firewall for bar for a day. I
have Astaro for my serious firewall needs (see later post), but need something 'portable'. You see I have these plans with some small itx systems....

have you considered linux that fits on a floppy disk?

http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~thelinuxguy/small_and_floppy_linux/

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/Floppy_Sized/

get one running and configured and save to floppy... things go south
reboot the machine and everything is back. no hard drives to worry
about...

Have you ever thought about how rare floppy drives are now? At best you go with a bootable usb, if your notebook supports bootable USB. My Libretto does have a bootable floppy, but that is something extra to carry. It will not boot from anything else (besides its HD). My nc4010 (this notebook) will boot from usb. My corp notebook (nc2400) is locked down; and I don't see any value at getting corp IT bent out of shape.

Yes, floppy drives are rare - but they are still incredibly valuable. I've dealt with needing to install drivers from floppy for OSes, and the OSse are looking to floppy.

I've needed DOS' fdisk to get me out of problems at times, and having a bootable copy of DOS on-hand has done the job.

Some BIOS updates are only available from a bootable floppy (won't install to anything else).

Saves times and frusteration in having a reusable floppy around than having to sometimes create a bootable CD to put the files on. Reuse the floppy as often as needed.
I have a USB floppy that came with my Toshiba 3490. It is a very valuable part of my 'tool box'.
Old hardware still exists and is usable, and sometimes only work, or work best, with floppies.

Sometimes "old school" is still "good school".
Talk to me about 'old school'. I sat at my first Teletype in '66 as a Junior in High School, learning Dartmouth Basic...

But I am looking at what I can easily travel with, and a floppy is NOT part of a traveling collection. Enough gear to upset TSA as it is.

We still often use "VT100" or "3270" emulation for remote connectivity... Think about their origins.
Check out who chaired the TN3270E workgroup ;) Want to discuss LU2 management layer?

Not really, some things are best left in the dust heap. Along with those 55 Baud Teletypes!