On 02/08/2015 11:14 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
.. What made my decision to add
nidia to my bad hardware manufacturers list was: not long ago they stopped
releasing new binary drivers (compatible with new kernels/glibc) for some
old cards I have my department. The machines, though old, still serve as
generic workstations... This did it: nvidia now in my bad hardware
manufacturers list

ATI/AMD does the same thing with their Catalyst drivers. Try finding a recent Catalyst driver for a still otherwise very useful X800. My experience with nVidia is that they do tend to support their older chips a bit longer in some cases.

Having said that, I have found the open source radeon drivers to expose more features than the open source noveau drivers do. The aforementioned X800 is well-supported in the open source drivers (all the way back to the really old Radeon 7000 series (R100) is supported).