On 11/18/2015 1:25 PM, Warren Young wrote:
My point is that unreliable NAS/RAID systems*require*  this dual redundancy,
whereas a reliable system only needs normal backups, that being the sort where
you rarely go back and pull more than a few files at a time.

well, at the sub $1000 price point of the typical SOHO NAS box, you're not going to find high 'reliable' systems, with redundant power supplies, dual storage controllers, and everything else that goes along with 'high availability'. even my fairly well built $7000-ish 2U servers in my development lab, if the motherboard or a CPU chip fails? they are offline until repaired, if they were mission critical, I'd need pairs of everything.. if a network switch fails? yeah, I didn't implement fully redundant multipath networking either.

the /really/ hard one when rolling your own highly redundant systems with high data integrity needed for things like transactional database servers, is implementing redundant storage controllers with shared writeback cache... you pretty much have to get into EMC class hardware for this level of reliability with data integrity and performance. and thats /really/ expensive stuff.