--On Monday, October 01, 2018 6:37 PM +0200 Peter Eckel <li...@eckel-edv.de> wrote:

I fully agree with most of the former, except for the Google part. Google
is to privacy what a shark pool is to a carp. If possible, avoid Google
at all cost, and particularly for E-Mail. There are services around that
cost a very small amount of money (e.g. mailbox.org or posteo.de),
provide a very reasonable service and do *not* peek into your mail for
advertisement targets and sell your data to their customers.

Fastmail looks attractive to me as it's IMAP-friendly. I run my own server but I'm recommending to my family that they move their accounts there if I "get hit by a bus".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FastMail>

I mostly run my own server because it's easy to create an infinite number of disposable "plussed" addresses as website login names. I've got a sendmail rule that lets me use a dot instead of a plus sign in such addresses to get around the websites that refuse a plus sign in an address.

<http://mozilla.wikia.com/wiki/User:Me_at_work/plushaters>

You should also run your own DNS in that case, as many modern features of
secure mail services are tightly linked to DNS (e.g. SPF, DKIM, DMARC
etc.). DNSsec is preferred.

This can be split. I let my hosting provider host my public domain name on their DNS servers. But I run a caching nameserver on my mail server to do the various lookups it requires. A forwarding nameserver for blacklist lookups is NOT recommended because of the way the various DNS-based blacklisting databases license their service.