Thank you for the input.  And to the others as well.  I hate this type of chase
where it seems never-ending, for a technology I can’t stand.  Managing my
current solution has been a problem for ages.  I’m not getting any younger.
Maybe hosting is the best solution, and I do agree with you about Google.  I
don’t trust them as far as I can spit.

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Peter Eckel <li...@eckel-edv.de> wrote:
>
> I fully agree with most of the former, except for the Google part. Google is
> to privacy what a shark pool is to a carp. If possible, avoid Google at all
> cost, and particularly for E-Mail. There are services around that cost a very
> small amount of money (e.g. mailbox.org or posteo.de), provide a very
> reasonable service and do *not* peek into your mail for advertisement targets
> and sell your data to their customers.
>
> If you want to run your own mail server (there are good reasons to do so,
> I've been running my own services for many years now) be prepared for a
> learning curve, as mail is not as simple and straightforward as it looks. You
> should also run your own DNS in that case, as many modern features of secure
> mail services are tightly linked to DNS (e.g. SPF, DKIM, DMARC etc.). DNSsec
> is preferred.
>
> There are some good books around (e.g. the Postfix/Dovecot books by Peer
> Heinlein, who incidentally is the owner of the mailbox.org service, but the
> Postfix book only seems to be available in German). Without a good foundation
> on running mail servers and/or some help from experienced mail server
> operators you're almost certain to screw up big time, which in most cases
> means ending up on some blacklists or having mail delivered very unreliably.
>
> As for the software question, I recommend the Postfix/Dovecot setup, enriched
> with some additional components to support graylisting, virus checking, spam
> filtering, DKIM, DMARC and SPF.

Cheers, Bee