On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

I guess it is very common for administrative purpose, to dump and restore a CentOS 7 system.

Though I can not answer OP's question, I have question of my own.

Is this really routine (often) task for Linux sysadmins? I used something like that to replicate cluster nodes in the past, but kickstart would be routine task for me. dump/restore sounds like routine from MS Windows world (I hear they "re-image" system if something goes wrong ;-)

Am I wrong? Do we in Linux world do this routinely?

I would not say routinely, but I would say crucially.

The poster child for dump/restore is a machine with commercial software that is difficult to install or customize, especially one with an RDBMS system large enough to make dumping and restoring the data tables an onerous task.

The usual workflow -- kickstart and puppet/ansible/etc -- doesn't work in that situation.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com