On Sep 19, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Craig White <craig.wh...@ttiltd.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 18:41 -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
>> On Sep 17, 2011, at 7:49 PM, Craig White <craigwh...@azapple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> At some point, security updates for 6.1 will be released and then it
>>> becomes a matter of deciding to install it based on the evidence that
>>> security updates have been non-existent all this time.
>>
>> I'm sorry I don't follow you here?
>>
>> I'm fairly certain that 6.1 will include both 6.1 security/bug updates AND
>> security/bug updates that have been released up to the beginning of the 6.1
>> release cycle, minus several that where released during the C6.1 release
>> cycle. Security updates and bug fixes are intermingled without being able to
>> distinguish one from the other outside of the RPM history.
>>
>> It's not the security updates that prevent me from moving to 6.0 right now,
>> but those pesky .0 blues.
> ----
> those pesky .0 blues as you call them were clearly there - see other
> threads about video issues, etc.
>
> I guess the point I was trying to make without being excessively blunt
> is that the track record of timely releases for CentOS 6.x (any release)
> and the track record of timely security updates (none) should really
> cause any one to pause before installing any version of CentOS 6 - even
> if 6.1 and all of the current security updates were released tomorrow.

For those systems that are important enough that I need immediate security
updates I buy a RHEL license.

It's those one-off systems behind the firewall that I use CentOS for.

No point in buying an expensive license for an instant messenging server.
IPtables is setup to block all non-application traffic, so the risks are low.

More likely to have systems compromised through the applications they run then
the system utilities themselves.

-Ross