Am 23.05.2012 10:30, schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG:
> Am 22.05.2012 23:11, schrieb Greg Farnum:
>>>

>>> What does that exactly mean? Shouldn't one threaded write to four
>>> 260MB/s devices gives at least 100Mb/s?
>>
>> Well, with dd you've got a single thread issuing synchronous IO requests to
>> the kernel. We could have it set up so that those synchronous requests get
>> split up, but they aren't, and between the kernel and KVM it looks like when
>> it needs to make a write out to disk it sends one request at a time to the
>> Ceph backend. So you aren't writing to four 260MB/s devices; you are writing
>> to one 260MB/s device without any pipelining — meaning you send off a 4MB
>> write, then wait until it's done, then send off a second 4MB write, then
>> wait until it's done, etc.
>> Frankly I'm surprised you aren't getting a bit more throughput than you're
>> seeing (I remember other people getting much more out of less beefy boxes),
>> but it doesn't much matter because what you really want to do is enable the
>> client-side writeback cache in RBD, which will dispatch multiple requests at
>> once and not force writes to be committed before reporting back to the
>> kernel. Then you should indeed be writing to four 260MB/s devices at once. :)
>
> OK i understand that but still the question where is the bottlenek in
> this case. I mean i see not more than 40% network load, not more than
> 10% cpu load and only 40MB/s to the SSD. I would still expect a network
> load of 70-90%.

*gr* i found a broken SATA cable ;-(

this is now with the replaced SATA cable and with rbd cache turned on:

systembootimage:/mnt# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=4M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
4194304000 bytes (4,2 GB) copied, 57,9194 s, 72,4 MB/s

systembootimage:/mnt# dd if=test of=/dev/null bs=4M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
4194304000 bytes (4,2 GB) copied, 46,3499 s, 90,5 MB/s

rados write bench 8 threads:
Total time run:        60.222947
Total writes made:     1519
Write size:            4194304