On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:57:02PM +0200, Smart Weblications GmbH - Florian
Wiessner wrote:
> Am 28.08.2012 20:51, schrieb Dieter Kasper:
>
> > Performance enhancements - especially to reduce the latency of a single IO
> > / increase IOPS -
> > and a stronger engagement on the CephFS client would be very much
> > appreciated.
> > A stable and fast CephFS client would allow an efficient integration with
> > - (clustered) NFS (v3 and v4)
> > - (clustered) Samba v4
>
> Have you tried ocfs2 ontop of rbd in the meanwhile until cephFS gets ready?
No, I haven't, but I know its limitations.

OCFS2 (like GFS/GFS2 from sistina/RH) is build on the cluster-FS design
of the 90s.
I'm looking for Cluster-FS which is based on
+ a system which is inherently dynamic
+ failures in a cluster are the norm, rather than an exception
+ that characters of workloads are constantly shifting over time
+ a system which is inevitably built incrementally
+ a system which is self-managing
= Ceph (RBD + CephFS)

Cheers,
Dieter Kasper

> --
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> Florian Wiessner
>
> Smart Weblications GmbH
> Martinsberger Str. 1
> D-95119 Naila
>
> fon.: +49 9282 9638 200
> fax.: +49 9282 9638 205
> 24/7: +49 900 144 000 00 - 0,99 EUR/Min*
> http://www.smart-weblications.de
>
> --
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Naila
> Geschäftsführer: Florian Wiessner
> HRB-Nr.: HRB 3840 Amtsgericht Hof
> *aus dem dt. Festnetz, ggf. abweichende Preise aus dem Mobilfunknetz
> --

Principal Consultant, Data Center Storage Architecture and Technology
FTS CTO
FUJITSU TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS GMBH
Mies-van-der-Rohe-Straße 8 / 4F
80807 München