On Tuesday 28 August 2012 you wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Dieter Kasper <d.kas...@kabelmail.de>
wrote:
> > Hi Ross,
> >
> > focusing on core stability and feature expansion for RBD was the right
> > appoach in the past and I feel you have reached an adequate maturity
> > level here.
> >
> > Performance enhancements - especially to reduce the latency of a single
> > IO / increase IOPS - and a stronger engagement on the CephFS client would
> > be very much appreciated. A stable and fast CephFS client would allow an
> > efficient integration with - (clustered) NFS (v3 and v4)
> > - (clustered) Samba v4
>
> +1 to CephFS being worked on. Things like the multi-mds being improved
> upon would be amazing.

Stable CephFS is what we need, too - many concurrent write accesses from
multiple clients with a real file system underneath. However, most stability
problems we have had so far were crashes in the daemons, not the Linux
kernel. Great for me would be some solution to what we call the Domino
effect - one daemon crashes, the next takes over, crashes at the same place
(same data...), until the whole cluster is down. There will always be bugs,
but they should not kill the whole cluster.

In our tests, single MDS was no real bottleneck, it was only lacking
stability. I have not tested the newest releases, so it might be better now.
Improved performance with many small files being written concurrently would
be great, but CephFS has been getting significantly faster over the last year
and performance is being worked on all the time.

Amon Ott
--
Dr. Amon Ott
m-privacy GmbH           Tel: +49 30 24342334

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 84946

Geschäftsführer:
 Dipl.-Kfm. Holger Maczkowsky,
 Roman Maczkowsky