Hi ceph-devel,
David (cc’ed) reported a bug (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9128) which we
came across in our test cluster during our failure testing, basically the way
to reproduce it was to leave one OSD daemon down and in for a day, at the same
time, keep giving write traffic. When the OSD daemon was started again, it hit
suicide timeout and kill itself.

After some analysis (details in the bug), David found that the op thread was
busy searching for missing objects and once the volume to search increase, the
thread is expected to work that long time, please refer to the bug for detailed
logs.

One simple fix is to let the op thread reset the suicide timeout periodically
when it is doing long-time work, other fix might be to cut the work into
smaller pieces?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Guang--