On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Guang Yang <yguan...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi ceph-devel,
> David (cc’ed) reported a bug (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9128) which we
> came across in our test cluster during our failure testing, basically the way
> to reproduce it was to leave one OSD daemon down and in for a day, at the
> same time, keep giving write traffic. When the OSD daemon was started again,
> it hit suicide timeout and kill itself.
>
> After some analysis (details in the bug), David found that the op thread was
> busy searching for missing objects and once the volume to search increase,
> the thread is expected to work that long time, please refer to the bug for
> detailed logs.

Can you talk a little more about what's going on here? At a quick
naive glance, I'm not seeing why leaving an OSD down and in should
require work based on the amount of write traffic. Perhaps if the rest
of the cluster was changing mappings...?

> One simple fix is to let the op thread reset the suicide timeout periodically
> when it is doing long-time work, other fix might be to cut the work into
> smaller pieces?

We do both of those things throughout the OSD (although I think the
first is simpler and more common); search for the accesses to
cct->get_heartbeat_map()->reset_timeout.
-Greg