> Op 27 aug. 2019 om 11:38 heeft Max Krasilnikov <pse...@avalon.org.ua> het
> volgende geschreven:
>
> Hello!
>
> Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 10:47:55PM +0200, wido wrote:
>
>>> Op 24 aug. 2019 om 16:36 heeft Darren Soothill <darren.sooth...@suse.com>
>>> het volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> So can you do it.
>>>
>>> Yes you can.
>>>
>>> Should you do it is the bigger question.
>>>
>>> So my first question would be what type of drives are you using? Enterprise
>>> class drives with a low failure rate?
>>>

>> Doesn’t matter. From my experience: With 2x replication you will loose data
>> at some point.
>>
>> As a consultant I have just seen too many cases of data loss with 2x.
>>
>> Please, don’t do it.
>
> I'd like to ask: do the new features like checksumming fix this problem?

No, they don’t.

Imagine you take a machine down for maintenance and while that machine is down
you loose a disk.

You lost data. Although you can bring back the other machine you are still
missing transactions.

This is not fictional, this happens.

Same as that during the backfill of a disk you just lost the disk with the
remaining copy dies under the load of the backfills.

I have seen this happen too many times in the last years.

Don’t try to cut corners.

Wido