On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 11:51:32PM +0100, Neil Levine wrote:
> Jared,
>
> As Weiguo says you will need to use a gateway to present a Ceph block
> device (RBD) in a format VMware understands. We've contributed the
> relevant code to the TGT iSCSI target (see blog:
> http://ceph.com/dev-notes/adding-support-for-rbd-to-stgt/) and though
> we haven't done a massive amount of testing on it, I'd love to get
> some feedback on it. We will be putting more effort into it this cycle
> (including producing a package).

We also have a legacy virtualization setup we are thinking of using with Ceph
and iSCSI. We however also ended up at LIO, because LIO supports the iSCSI
extensions which are needed for clustering.

stgt doesn't yet support all the needed extensions as far as I can see.

There seems to be exactly one person sporadically working on improving stgt
in this area.