On 08/13/2013 09:23 AM, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>>> Anyway, I thought what if instead of RAID-10 I use ceph? All 6 disks will
>>> be local, so I could simply create
>>> 6 local OSDs + a monitor, right? Is there anything I need to watch out for
>>> in such configuration?
>>
>> You can do that. Although it's nice to play with and everything, I
>> wouldn't recommend doing it. It will give you more pain than pleasure.
>
> How so? Care to elaborate?

Ceph is a complex system, built for clusters. It does some stuff in
software that is otherwhise done in hardware (raid controllers). The
nature of the complexity of a cluster system is a lot of overhead
compared to a local raid [whatever] system, and latency of disk i/o will
naturally suffer a bit. An OSD needs about 300 MB of RAM (may vary on
your PGs), times 6 is a "waste" of nearly 2 GB of RAM (compared to a
local RAID). Also ceph is young, and it does indeed have some bugs. RAID
is old, and very mature. Although I rely on ceph on a productive
cluster, too, it is way harder to maintain than a simple local raid.
When a disk fails in ceph you don't have to worry about your data, which
is a good thing, but you have to worry about the rebuilding (which isn't
too hard, but at least you need to know SOMETHING about ceph), with
(hardware) RAID you simply replace the disk, and it will be rebuilt.

Others will find more reasons why this is not the best idea for a
production system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of ceph, but only for clusters,
not for single systems.

wogri

--
DI (FH) Wolfgang Hennerbichler