On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Jim Summers <jbsumm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Since the release of dumpling, a couple of things are now not working.  I
> can not yum install ceph-deploy and earlier I tried to manually modify the
> ceph.repo file.  That did get ceph-deploy installed but it did not work.
> So then I switched to the ceph-release that would bring me back to
> cuttlefish.  Can not install ceph-deploy again.
>
> Now I saw an email that ceph-deploy can be installed with pip or
> east_install.

Let me clarify a bit here :)

Yes, you can install ceph-deploy via pip or easy_install if you choose to,
and that should just work.

It seems to me that you might be having network issues with pip, or maybe
just a PyPI hiccup. Try using pip with the
verbose flag so you can see better what is going on.

fwiw I just did `pip install ceph-deploy` and it worked correctly. Output
should be similar to this:

  Downloading/unpacking ceph-deploy
    Downloading ceph-deploy-1.2.tar.gz
    Running setup.py egg_info for package ceph-deploy

      no previously-included directories found matching 'ceph_deploy/test'
  Installing collected packages: ceph-deploy
    Running setup.py install for ceph-deploy\
      Installing ceph-deploy script to /Users/alfredo/.virtualenvs/tmp/bin
  Successfully installed ceph-deploy
  Cleaning up...

When you say you tried to modify the ceph.repo file and got ceph-deploy
installed but it did not work, what do you mean? How did it not work?
Any output/explanation for that would help understand this a bit better.

Also, keep in mind that the location for ceph-deploy's repo has changed,
you should look here http://ceph.com/packages/ceph-extras/rpm/ and add the
correct repo for your OS.