Well, in a word, yes. You really expect a network replicated storage system in
user space to be comparable to direct attached ssd storage?  For what it's
worth, I've got a pile of regular spinning rust, this is what my cluster will
do inside a vm with rbd writeback caching on.  As you can see, latency is
everything.

dd if=/dev/zero of=1g bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.26289 s, 171 MB/s
dd if=/dev/zero of=1g bs=1M count=1024 oflag=dsync
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 37.4144 s, 28.7 MB/s

As you can see, latency is a killer.