If your SSD capacity is well in excess of your journal capacity requirements
you could consider overprovisioning the SSD.  Overprovisioning should increase
SSD performance and lifetime.  This achieves the same effect as trim to some
degree (lets the SSD better understand what cells have real data and which can
be treated as free).  I wonder how effective trim would be on a Ceph journal
area.  If the journal empties and is then trimmed the next write cycle should
be faster, but if the journal is active all the time the benefits would be lost
almost immediately, as those cells are going to receive data again almost
immediately and go back to an "untrimmed" state until the next trim occurs.