> Most servers also have internal SD card slots.  There are SD cards
> advertising >90MB/s, though I haven't tried them as OS boot personally.

We did this with some servers 2 1/2 years ago with some Blade hardware: did not
work out so well.
High level of failures on the SD card's even with all stuff properly on tempfs.

For Ceph we have the OS on one of the two SSDs where the journals live.
We are graphing and alerting on the SSD wear-level SMART info.
Up to now it has worked out quite well.
(We have a very similar setup for Openstack Swift for a few years now where we
use the SSD for flashcache instead of journals)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen