Hello Robert & Christian,

First, thank you for the general considerations, 3 and 3.extra has been ruled
out.

> A simple way to make 1) and 2) cheaper is to use AMD CPUs, they will do
> just fine at half the price with these loads.
> If you're that tight on budget, 64GB RAM will do fine, too.
>
> I assume you're committed to 10GbE in your environment, at least when it
> comes to the public side.
> I have found Infiniband cheaper (especially when it comes to switches)
> and faster that 10GbE.

We decided to go with 10GbE on the storage side to consolidate the 10GbE
external network connectivity requirement with the storage networking, and not
use two separate technologies/switches/NICs in the compute and storage nodes.

> Looking purely at bandwidth (sequential writes), your proposals are all
> underpowered when it comes to the ratio of SSD journals to HDDs and the
> available network bandwidth.
> For example with 1) you have up to 2GB/s of inbound writes from the
> network and about 1.7GB/s worth on your HDDs, but just 700GB/s on your
> SSDs.
> Even if you're more interested in IOPS (as you probably should), it
> feels like a waste.
> 2) with 4 SSDs (or bigger ones that are faster) would make a decent
> storage node it my book.

This is a very good point that I totally overlooked. I concentrated more on the
IOPS alignment plus write durability, and forgot to check the sequential write
bandwidth.
The 400GB Intel S3700 is a lot more faster but double the price (around $950)
compared to the 200GB. Maybe I would be better off using enterprise SLC SSDs
for journals?
For example OCZ Deneva 2 C 60GB SLC costs around $640, and have 75K write IOPS
and ~510MB/s write bandwidth by spec.

Cheers,
Benjamin