From: Sage Weil
To: Charles 'Boyo
Cc: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Disabling OSD journals, parallel reads and eventual
consistency for RBD
Sent: Jun 13, 2014 00:29

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014, Charles 'Boyo wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> Is it possible, or will it ever be possible to disable the OSD's
> journalling activity?
>
> I understand it is risky and has the potential for data loss but in my
> use case, the data is easily re-built from scratch and I'm really
> bothered about the reduced throughput "wasted" on journalling.

We are investigating alternative backends that do not require the journal.
There are also half-baked plans to avoid the double-writes when running on
btrfs.  You definitely do not want to disable the journal or stick it on a
ramdisk for ext4/xfs, though, or you will corrupt the OSD's data on crash.

sage

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.