Quentin,

try fio or dd with O_DIRECT and D_SYNC flags, and you will see less than
1MB/s - that is common for most "home" drives - check the post down to
understand....

We removed all Samsung 850 pro 256GB from our new CEPH installation and
replaced with Intel S3500 (18.000 (4Kb) IOPS constant write speed with
O_DIRECT, D_SYNC, in comparison to 200 IOPS for Samsun 850pro - you can
imagine the difference...):

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2014/10/10/ceph-how-to-test-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

Best

On 4 September 2015 at 21:09, Quentin Hartman <qhart...@direwolfdigital.com>
wrote:

> Mine are also mostly 850 Pros. I have a few 840s, and a few 850 EVOs in
> there just because I couldn't find 14 pros at the time we were ordering
> hardware. I have 14 nodes, each with a single 128 or 120GB SSD that serves
> as the boot drive  and the journal for 3 OSDs. And similarly, mine just
> started disappearing a few weeks ago. I've now had four fail (three 850
> Pro, one 840 Pro). I expect the rest to fail any day.
>
> As it turns out I had a phone conversation with the support rep who has
> been helping me with RMA's today and he's putting together a report with my
> pertinent information in it to forward on to someone.
>
> FWIW, I tried to get your 845's for this deploy, but couldn't find them
> anywhere, and since the 850's looked about as durable on paper I figured
> they would do ok. Seems not to be the case.
>
> QH
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> I had 3 CEPH nodes as folowing: 12 OSDs(HDD) and 2 SSDs (2x 6 Journals
>> partitions on each SSD) - SSDs just vanished with no warning, no smartctl
>> errors nothing... so 2 SSDs in 3 servers vanished in...2-3 weeks, after a
>> 3-4 months of being in production (VMs/KVM/CloudStack)
>>
>> Mine were also Samsung 850 PRO 128GB.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrija
>>
>> On 4 September 2015 at 19:27, James (Fei) Liu-SSI <
>> james....@ssi.samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Quentin and Andrija,
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for reporting the problems with Samsung.
>>>

>>> Would be possible to get to know your configuration of your system?
>>> What kind of workload are you running?  Do you use Samsung SSD as separate
>>> journaling disk, right?
>>>

>>> Thanks so much.
>>>

>>> James

>>> T: [+48] 22 380 13 13