On 01/20/2016 06:07 AM, Nick Fisk wrote:
> Thanks for your input Mike, a couple of questions if I may
>
> 1. Are you saying that this rbd backing store is not in mainline and is only
> in SUSE kernels? Ie can I use this lrbd on Debian/Ubuntu/CentOS?

The target_core_rbd backing store is not upstream and only in SUSE kernels.

lrbd is the management tool that basically distributes the configuration
info to the nodes you want to run LIO on. In that README you see it uses
the target_core_rbd module by default, but last I looked there is code
to support iblock too. So you should be able to use this with other
distros that do not have target_core_rbd.

When I was done porting my code to a iblock based approach I was going
to test out the lrbd iblock support and fix it up if it needed anything.

> 2. Does this have any positive effect on the abort/reset death loop a number
> of us were seeing when using LIO+krbd and ESXi?

The old code and my new approach does not really help. However, on
Monday, Ilya and I were talking about this problem, and he gave me some
hints on how to add code to cancel/cleanup commands so we will be able
to handle aborts/resets properly and so we will not fall into that problem.

> 3. Can you still use something like bcache over the krbd?

Not initially. I had been doing active/active across nodes by default,
so you cannot use bcache and krbd as is like that.