From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of EP
Komarla
Sent: Saturday, 21 May 2016 1:53 AM
To: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: [ceph-users] NVRAM cards as OSD journals

Hi,

I am contemplating using a NVRAM card for OSD journals in place of SSD drives
in our ceph cluster.

Configuration:

*         4 Ceph servers

*         Each server has 24 OSDs (each OSD is a 1TB SAS drive)

*         1 PCIe NVRAM card of 16GB capacity per ceph server

*         Both Client & cluster network is 10Gbps

As per ceph documents:
The expected throughput number should include the expected disk throughput
(i.e., sustained data transfer rate), and network throughput. For example, a
7200 RPM disk will likely have approximately 100 MB/s. Taking the min() of the
disk and network throughput should provide a reasonable expected throughput.
Some users just start off with a 10GB journal size. For example:
osd journal size = 10000
Given that I have a single 16GB card per server that has to be carved among all
24OSDs, I will have to configure each OSD journal to be much smaller around
600MB, i.e., 16GB/24 drives.  This value is much smaller than 10GB/OSD journal
that is generally used.  So, I am wondering if this configuration and journal
size is valid.  Is there a performance benefit of having a journal that is this
small?  Also, do I have to reduce the default "filestore maxsync interval" from
5 seconds to a smaller value say 2 seconds to match the smaller journal size?

Have people used NVRAM cards in the Ceph clusters as journals?  What is their
experience?

Any thoughts?

Legal Disclaimer:
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential.
It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in
any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this
message!
Confidentiality: This email and any attachments are confidential and may be
subject to copyright, legal or some other professional privilege. They are
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). They may
only be copied, distributed or disclosed with the consent of the copyright
owner. If you have received this email by mistake or by breach of the
confidentiality clause, please notify the sender immediately by return email
and delete or destroy all copies of the email. Any confidentiality, privilege
or copyright is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you by
mistake.