I started down that path and got so deep that I couldn't even find where I
went in. I couldn't make heads or tails out of what would or wouldn't work.

We didn't need multiple hosts accessing a single datastore, so on the
client side I just have a single VM guest running on each ESXi hosts, with
the cephfs filesystem mounted on it(via a 10Gb connection to the ceph
environment), and then exported via NFS on a host-only network, and mounted
on the host.

Not quite as redundant as it could be, but good enough for our usage. I'm
seeing ~500MB/s speeds going to a 4-node cluster with 5x1TB 7200rpm drives.
I tried it first, in a similar config, except using LIO to export an RBD
device via iSCSI, still on  the local host network. Write performance was
good, but read performance was only around 120MB/s. I didn't do much
troubleshooting, just tried NFS after that and was happy with it.