I'm really glad to hear that it wasn't bluestore! :)

It raises another concern though. We didn't expect to see that much of a slowdown with the current throttle settings. An order of magnitude slowdown in recovery performance isn't ideal at all.

I wonder if we could improve things dramatically if we kept track of client IO activity on the OSD and remove the throttle if there's been no client activity for X seconds. Theoretically more advanced heuristics might cover this, but in the interim it seems to me like this would solve the very specific problem you are seeing while still throttling recovery when IO is happening.

Mark