Hi Wolfgang,

In bluestore the WAL serves sort of a similar purpose to filestore's journal, but bluestore isn't dependent on it for guaranteeing durability of large writes. With bluestore you can often get higher large-write throughput than with filestore when using HDD-only or flash-only OSDs.

Bluestore also stores allocation, object, and cluster metadata in the DB. That, in combination with the way bluestore stores objects, dramatically improves behavior during certain workloads. A big one is creating millions of small objects as quickly as possible. In filestore, PG splitting has a huge impact on performance and tail latency. Bluestore is much better just on HDD, and putting the DB and WAL on flash makes it better still since metadata no longer is a bottleneck.

Bluestore does have a couple of shortcomings vs filestore currently. The allocator is not as good as XFS's and can fragment more over time. There is no server-side readahead so small sequential read performance is very dependent on client-side readahead. There's still a number of optimizations to various things ranging from threading and locking in the shardedopwq to pglog and dup_ops that potentially could improve performance.

I have a blog post that we've been working on that explores some of these things but I'm still waiting on review before I publish it.

Mark