http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/22754

This is a bug in Luminous for cephfs volumes.  This is not anything you're
doing wrong.  The mon check for removing a cache tier only checks that it's
EC on CephFS and says no.  The above tracker has a PR marked for
backporting into Luminous to respond yes if ec_overwrites are enabled.  At
this point it looks like this will likely be included in 12.2.4, I don't
think it was ready in time for 12.2.3.

If everything is working fine for you with the cache in forward mode, you
can leave it there.  Alternatively you can start testing the cache settings
in overwrite to only promote items after they've been requested a few
times.  Historically with CephFS, EC, and cache tiers you could only set
the hit_set_count to 1 because every object read needed to be promoted.  I
haven't tested this yet myself, but you should be able to set the
hit_set_count to 100 or something and then your cache would only ever have
things freshly written to CephFS and not promote things that are being
read.  Write on read is bad for performance.

Or you can be lazy like me and just revert the cache to what it's been
doing for years and wait for the bug fix to be released.