PM/SM863a are usually great disks and should be the default go-to option,
they outperform
even the more expensive PM1633 in our experience.
(But that really doesn't matter if it's for the full OSD and not as
dedicated WAL/journal)

We got a cluster with a few hundred SanDisk Ultra II (discontinued, i
believe) that was built on a budget.
Not the best disk but great value. They have been running since ~3 years
now with very few failures and
okayish overall performance.

We also got a few clusters with a few hundred SanDisk Extreme Pro, but we
are not yet sure about their
long-time durability as they are only ~9 months old (average of ~1000 write
IOPS on each disk over that time).
Some of them report only 50-60% lifetime left.

For NVMe, the Intel NVMe 750 is still a great disk

Be carefuly to get these exact models. Seemingly similar disks might be
just completely bad, for
example, the Samsung PM961 is just unusable for Ceph in our experience.

Paul

> On 07/11/2018 10:10 AM, Robert Stanford wrote:
> >
> >  In a recent thread the Samsung SM863a was recommended as a journal
> > SSD.  Are there any recommendations for data SSDs, for people who want
> > to use just SSDs in a new Ceph cluster?
> >

> Depends on what you are looking for, SATA, SAS3 or NVMe?
>
> I have very good experiences with these drives running with BlueStore in
> them in SuperMicro machines:
>
> - SATA: Samsung PM863a
> - SATA: Intel S4500
> - SAS: Samsung PM1633
> - NVMe: Samsung PM963
>
> Running WAL+DB+DATA with BlueStore on the same drives.
>
> Wido
>
> >  Thank you

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io