On 11/07/18 13:49, Satish Patel wrote:
Prices going way up if I am picking Samsung SM863a for all data drives.

We have many servers running on consumer grade sad drives and we never noticed any performance or any fault so far (but we never used ceph before)

I thought that is the whole point of ceph to provide high availability if drive go down also parellel read from multiple osd node

I wouldn't use consumer drives. They tend not to have power loss protection, performance can degrade sharply as queue depth increases and the endurance is nowhere near enterprise drives. Depending on your use pattern, you may get a real shock at how quickly they'll wear out.

The 2TB Samsung 850 EVO for example is only rated for 300TBW (terabytes written). Over the 5 year warranty period that's only 165GB/day, not even 0.01 full drive writes per day. The SM863a part of the same size is rated for 12,320TBW, over 3 DWPD.

Simon.