The speedof.me API probably can be used directly as the measurement of download
and upload - you can create a competing download or upload in Javascript using
a WebWorker talking to another server that supports the websocket API to force
buffer overflow.  (sort of poor man's RRUL).

The speedof.me API would give you the measured performance, while the other
path would just be aan easier to code test load to a source/sink.

Not sure that would help, but for a prototype it's not bad.