From: Brian Hogue [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 12:38 PM
To: New York ColdFusion Users Group
Subject: Re: CF Scalability ?

Yonah -

I would not be surprised if the original question is a management
response to a quote
from the recent PC Magazine article. From page 139, sidebar, "Even
officials at
Macromedia, which also makes the Java-based application server, JRun,
agree that
ColdFusion isn't ideal for high-end business applications. 'You can
build complex
sets of operations in ColdFusion, but the more complex they get, the
less useful it
becomes,' explains Philip Costa, senior product marketing manager for
ColdFusion.

-brian

Yonah Wolf wrote:

> Richard,
>
>         I know that there has been a lot of talk about scalability and CF,
and a
> lot of responses about how well it scales. In about three + years of CF
> experience, and dozens of clients with varying levels of traffic I can
tell
> you that CF scales well but does hit some limits. My company has
> successfully scaled sites to about 10K (100-150K page views per day) user
> sessions a day per CF front end. I'm sure with variations in your
> application and different database platforms you can get that number
closer
> to 15K or 20K (we use MS SQL, but I'm sure that you might be able to get
> better performance with Oracle or Informix).
>
>         The only caveat is that we've seen some performance breakdowns at
about
> 100,000 user sessions a day or greater. Granted, that could be a
limitation
> of the amount of hardware we've allocated , but remember, the more
hardware
> you have the more you're going to spend in IT costs and h/w management.
>
>         As for ASP - not all sites that have pages with .asp extensions
are using
> pure ASP. Many of those sites make use of technologies like DNA, ISAPI and
> MTS. Those are all distributed technologies that have greater access to
> Windows native capabilities and therefore more control over the OS. ASP is
> merely the 'glue' that holds these elements together and contains the HTML
> presentation for these components which generally only process business
> logic. I highly doubt that pure ASP will give you performance or
scalability
> to the level that Cold Fusion does, and if you are thinking of developing
> heavier-duty applications with COM/DCOM or any of the technologies listed
> above, there is no reason that you can't combine them with CF. In theory,
> you could use CFSCRIPT and CFOBJECT to write the same code you would in
ASP.

>         The bottom line, in the real world CF is a hands-down, better
option than
> ASP for sites that will service less than 100K users a day, at a minimum.
>
> --Yonah
> ________________________
>
> Yonah Wolf, Research & Development
> Knowledge Strategies Group