From: Phil Costa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 12:35 PM
To: CF-partners
Subject: RE: CF Scalability and MacroMedia - Searching for the OFFICIAL
Wo rd

I do work for Macromedia, and can certainly vouch for the performance of
ColdFusion, which is one of the reasons Half.com uses it. In addition to
Half.com, there are dozens of other large-scale Web sites that use
ColdFusion, including Autobytel and SmartMoney.com. For a more objective
perspective on performance, there is an extensive performance brief on the
Allaire Members Only Web site (accessible to all partners) that provides
benchmarks for ColdFusion 4.5. These are also being updated for ColdFusion
5, which provides dramatically improved performance across all platforms.

As to the comment in the article from PC Magazine, the quotation was
paraphrased and taken out of context, which is unfortunate. We strongly
believe that ColdFusion is a very effective development platform for
high-volume, business-critical Web applications. It's proven itself again
and again in this arena. I tried to make the point that ColdFusion can work
well in a multi-tier environment, and if you want to use other languages to
implement part of your application, ColdFusion offers you that flexibility.
Unfortunately that point was lost. We're committed to building a positive
public image for ColdFusion, and we're going to keep working this issue.

Thanks for your comments. As always, we are dedicated to working harder with
ColdFusion. I'm glad this mailing list has been set up, as it offers a very
good forum for partners like those in this thread to offer comments and
feedback.

Phil Costa
Sr. Product Marketing Manager / Macromedia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]