From: Judith Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 9:26 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: For us 'older' women ;o)

This came through on my lace-chat list...and I just had to share the
laughter. :o)

~=The Other Judith=~

      I have just been through the annual pilgrimage of torture and
  humiliation  known as buying a bathing suit. When I was a child in the
  1950's, the bathing  suit for a woman with a mature figure was designed
for
  a woman with a mature  figure - boned, trussed and reinforced, not so much
  sewn as engineered. They  were built to hold back and uplift and they did
  good job.
  Today's stretch fabrics are designed for the pre-pubescent girl with a
  figure carved from a potato chip. The mature woman has a choice - she can
  either  front up at the maternity department and try on a floral suit with
  a skirt,  coming away looking like a hippopotamus who escaped from
Disney's
  Fantasia - or  she can wander around every run-of-the-mill department
store
  trying to make a  sensible choice from what amounts to a designer range of
  fluorescent rubber  bands.  What choice did I have? I wandered around,
made
  my sensible choice and  entered the chamber of horrors known as the
fitting
  room. The first thing I  noticed was the extraordinary tensile strength of
  the stretch material. The  Lycra used in bathing costumes was developed, I
  believe, by NASA to launch small  rockets from a slingshot, which give the
  added bonus that if you manage to  actually lever yourself into one, you
  are protected from shark attacks. The  reason for this is that any shark
  taking a swipe at your passing midriff would  immediately suffer whiplash.
  I fought my way into the bathing suit, but as I  twanged the shoulder
strap
  in place, I gasped in horror - my bosom had  disappeared! Eventually, I
  found one bosom cowering under my left armpit. It  took a while to find
the
  other. At last I located it flattened beside my seventh  rib.  The problem
  is that modern bathing suits have no bra cups. The mature woman  is meant
  to wear her bosom spread across her chest like a speed hump. I  realigned
  my speed hump and lurched toward the mirror to take a full view
  assessment. The bathing suit fit all right, but unfortunately, it only fit
  those  bits of me willing to stay inside it. The rest of me oozed out
  rebelliously from  top, bottom, and sides. I looked like a lump of play
  dough wearing undersized  cling wrap.  As I tried to work out where all
  those extra bits had come from, the  pre-pubescent sales girl popped head
  through the curtains, "Oh There you are!"  she said, admiring the bathing
  suit...I replied that I wasn't so sure and asked  what else she had to
show
  me. I tried on a cream crinkled one that made me look  like a lump of
  masking tape, and a floral two-piece which gave the appearance of  an
  oversized napkin in a serviette ring. I struggled into a pair of leopard
  skin  bathers with ragged frill and came out looking like Tarzan's Jane
  pregnant with  triplets and having a rough day. I tried on a black number
  with a midriff and  looked like a jellyfish in mourning. I tried on a
  bright pink pair with such a  high cut leg I thought I would have to wax
my
  eyebrows to wear them.  Finally, I found a suit that fit...a two-piece
  affair with shorts style  bottom and a loose blouse-type top. It was
cheap,
  comfortable, and bulge  friendly, so I bought it. When I got home, I read
  the label, which said,  "Material may become transparent in water." I'm
  determined to wear it  anyway...I'll just have to learn to do the
  breaststroke in the sand. And, summer  is sooooo close!!!
  AUTHOR UNKNOWN