At 06:24 PM 5/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Since when did being professional mean you could watch a list with nothing
>to talk about?
>
>Or HEY maybe you guys are letting your clients and bosses know what other
>time your billing them for, what is it now? 20 minutes on the hour in ratio
>of this list to work?
>
>John W: There is life beyond CF.. but hey maybe I can get some tips on
>telling my clients "Oh yeah... you paid for somet time that I was playing
>too, cuz uh... it was more important than getting the job done."
>
>Ben Braver: Uh Guess what, if getting the job done first means having my
>head up my ass then not only are you demented but I'm a better businessman
>than you... Is that something for your resume? "Any guy with his head up his
>ass is better at this stuff than me, but you should hire me because I'll
>gladly blow some of your money on my private time." And woohoo, I'm 17 years
>old, so now a kid with his head up his ass is a better business man than
>you... and oh yeah, when I was in Elementary School, I never had clients to
>bill...
>
>Jennifer: Is it not common sense that when someone is able to post to a list
>all day every day that they are doing it while working.. of course some
>people have a legitimate respect for their jobs..

Man. You just can't accept that people who don't act like you aren't
necessarily screwing up, can you?

that people are at work a certain number of hours a day, regardless of the
amount of "goofing off" that they do. This is not the case for most people
who work in the computer industry. Most computer jobs that are "full time"
require well beyond 40 hours a week. Tack on a few extra hours for email
and what difference does that make to the amount of work that's been done?
None.

You seem to be unable to make the distinction between "while working" and
"while at work." If I am able to email all day long, that implies that I am
using my work computer for email periodically throughout the work day. Does
that count as work? Well, in my case it counts for a little while. However,
if I spend 3 hours on email instead of my allotted one, I still work 7
hours. If that means that I am on my work computer for 10 hours a day, I
have still worked 7 of those hours. You seem to think that people are
defrauding their clients by responding to email even though you are only
assuming that clients are being billed for it in the first place.

You have just accused two people (by name) of theft because they send
frivolous email to a mailing list designed to contain frivolous email,
based on the fact that the list has "CF" in the name as opposed to based on
any information. In fact, this accusation is in direct conflict with the
statements of the people you are accusing. I'm pretty sure that sending
accusations like that to a public forum with your name on it is bad
business, since it can lead to lawsuits. Not to mention that it looks
extremely unprofessional.

Besides that, you have assumed that your method of not responding is more
effective at getting work done than someone else's method of responding.
Have you ever tried really hard to remember something or figure it out only
to have the answer surface in the middle of a movie or a conversation about
sports or *gasp* while writing an email. It is a common phenomenon to have
realizations surface during a distraction. But I guess maybe that has never
happened to you, which is why you fail to take that into account. You have
also failed to account that people who have occasional distractions get to
rest the parts of their brains that they've been using to work, allowing
them to function better when returning to work. That is why frequent breaks
make for more effective employees.

So let's talk about being a business manager, since I've been one. Exactly
how are happy employees who get the work done in the allotted amount of
billable hours and on time worse business than bitter employees who get
their work done in the allotted amount of billable hours and on time? In
fact, bitter employees are a sign of bad management and a company that may
very well fail.

Personally, I would never hire a person who seemed bitter. I guess that
means that I'd never hire you. If I couldn't help being your manager, I
certainly would never allow you to have contact with a client. Clients
don't like bitter employees. It makes them think that something is wrong
with the company. Frankly, I don't think that you could have a conversation
with a client without being derogative and sarcastic. That would most
certainly be bad business.