> I think my original answer is still valid unfortunately.

This answer is getting closer to what I'm asking, but still is not there. If
you'll endulge me a further explanation maybe I can finally be clear in
describing the sitation.

Insurance Company "A" developed an insurance processing system over a period
of several years. I believe it was an AS/400 system, but that really isn't
important. Could just as well have been Paradox for DOS.

"A" decided to market their system to other companies so they created
Software Development Firm "B". "B" is marketing the system but since it was
designed for a local network it does not inherently have any web features.

"B" is saying they can provide Internet rating capabilities and they do this
through Tarantella. They have not written any Java. I doubt anyone at "B"
even knows Java. They are not changing their system at all. They license
this 3rd party Java program (Tarantella) and provide it to their customers.
Tarantella allows the remote client to run the original application as if
they were in the local network (like pcAnywhere).

> The whole concept of extending legacy systems just rubs me the wrong way
> anyway. They need to bite the bullet and get modern, or expect to
> pay a ton of money to keep extending it.

I agree completely. Which is why I am looking for information that I can
present to potential clients who are also looking at "B's" system. I need
more than saying I don't like the approach. I need to understand the
limitations and costs associated with the Tarantella approach (or J Walk
Java Client which I mentioned in my original post).

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher P. Maher
Maher Associates, Inc.