From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 1:52 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: List Quality and Voyager finale

I can tell you way Janeway doesn't go back to the beginning, before Voyager
was lost in the Delta Quadrant. Because Janeway values friends and family.

If she had prevented Voyager from getting lost, Checktoy(sp?) and his crew
never would have become part of the Voyager crew. The doctor never would
have become a fully realized being. Seven never would have been rescued from
the Borg. Nelix's life never would have been changed for the better.
Countless other good deeds done by Voyager in the DQ never would have been
done.  Janeway had plenty of motivation to pick the one moment on the
Journey when her crew, in its key elements, was complete.

Yeah, time travel is a sticky thing and introduces all kinds of problems,
but on the issue of Janeway's motivation in this case, I don't have a
problem.

I thought, overall, the show was very well done. But what about this
time-travel weirdness:

As the Borg Queen noted, if young Janeway is killed, then Voyager never gets
home at all and old Janeway doesn't travel back in time to rescue Voyager
and the Borg Queen doesn't die.  But because Janeway and Voyager got home
early, there is now no need for old Janeway to travel back in time and
rescue Voyager, so, logically, it would seem, the Borg are not destroyed
because old Janeway doesn't travel back in time.

On the other hand, as Samual Taylor Colridge once noted, good fiction only
works through the "willing suspension of disbelief."

H.