Let me define that a bit more about the no flash thing...

Many of folks over design just to look cool... perhaps it is an
advertising thing (something I am way familiar with)... make it look
good and people will buy it...

However, you have to look at the delivery method....

1. Filesize...
2. Bandwidth...
3. User setup...

on filesize, flash can be compact... if you do it right, compromise,
etc.

on bandwidth... you increase the amount of network traffic on the
clients server and you have no idea how downloading any files is going
to impact the end user.

user setup... many people and those that matter have misconfigured
gear, old browsers, run in lower resolution so they can see, low color
depth...  for this reason and the idea of the system processing unit on
the end user's machine that a presentation can run either wonderfully
or fatally....

It is for these reasons that flash is considered by me to be a bad
delivery method UNLESS the content being requested by the end user is
specifically known to be FLASH and require a certain configuration,
CPU, etc.

It is for this reason as well that I often and negative critic of JAVA
on the end user/client side...

Afterall, when you define the major uses of the web you have:

1. Advertising related
2. Business/Application centric

in either end, if the user has a bad experience, you won't have that
user in the future...

As I always say, under design so you can over deliver...

Business is about information.. multimedia is for CDs and tradeshows...

I must so in closing however, that I have seen some good infomercial
spots using FLASH in places like CNET.COM... too bad it doesn't
distinguish if I want those or less active ads (ie: gifs/jpgs/textual)..

Minimalism makes for good art and good web.

-paris
http://www.pubcrawler.com
[finding the future in the past, passing the future in the present]
[connecting people, places and things]