The average notice time here in the states is 2 weeks.  If you tell your
prospective employer that the earliest you can start is 2 weeks after
notification of hire, most will be understanding .. after all, they would
like the same courtesy extended to them, I'm sure.  It's very common.

I wouldn't say anything to your boss.  If you do, your boss might start
actively looking for someone to replace you and boot you out of your job as
soon as he finds them.  This would suck for you, but your boss would feel
better because he wouldn't have to worry about you leaving without notice
and him being stuck.  Also, my uncle just plain got fired once for telling
his boss that he was going to be looking for new jobs.

You need to be careful.  I'd get your new job all lined up and then give
your boss a 2 week notice ... or however long you feel is right and your new
employer will put up with.  No sense taking any chances that you don't have
to.

Would they let you continue employment off-contract?  If not, you might want
to throw some type of exit clause in there ..

Todd
-----
Psssst .. find me a new job too, while you're at it ;)