From:   Angel Stewart [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   26 July 2001 04:48
To:     CF-Community
Subject:        RE: okies people..career question.

Ok..this is the situation more clearly.
if i can think and type clearly now :)

Essentially, and in a nutshell. I would be leaving a stable, secure job
(and yes it IS secure, the company is NOT going to
fold anytime soon in Trinidad's marketplace)...for what would be a Startup
company based in the US with an outsourcing
operation in Trinidad,offering a higher salary. I would be doing the work
in Trinidad, and going with the US arm to meet
clients in the States when necessary to analyse their needs etc. and
determine what we have to do to meet the requirements of
the client's solution, as well as manage whatever staff we need either
full/part time to do these Web Application jobs,
whether they are in Trinidad or wherever else. Technically the fact that
the jobs I am undertaking will be all outside of
Trinidad doesn't put me in direct competition with the company I presently
work for anyways.

But because it's a startup..nothing's guaranteed.This could all bust
tomorrow ;-)

What I decided over some Boddingtons and stuff tonight was that in this
contract I'm supposed to get, I make sure that a
certain period, with a certain pay for that period as standard is
stipulated. That way if it goes bust after this big job at
the end of three months I still get paid for a year or two..however much.
It's also a way to see just how serious this
company in the States is about the job, and its long term value.

That will help me make my decision whether to leave or not, and also turn
this from a Security - Risk to a Security -
Security :)

Two, for further security and not to burn any bridges, I negotiate four
months no pay leave from my present company to test
the waters at this new startup.

As for dependents....I have none. I'm 24 with no wife, no kids just me to
think about (no steady significant other
either..and if someone disagrees its her fault for not making her
intentions clear anyway right? ;-) lol!).

Of course none of this matters until I see that contract and what it
entails, and run it past a corporate lawyer.

Ahh well..I suppose I could do with some more excitement, and one things
for sure this new job if I go with it full steam
sure as hell won't be boring! It WILL be a challenge!

So..that's the plan of action I came up with =)
It is very cool to have a list of people that are in the same industry to
bounce these ideas off of..it is extremely
extremely useful to get so many varying points of view. You know without
the Internet getting such a variety of views on a
single topic would be just about impossible for anyone to accomplish. A
pity if I start to work for a US company I'd have to
stop being so open. In that case you never know who might be subscribed ya
know?

Thanks all ^_^

-Gel