You are in a tricky situation here, legally if you developed the tool
outside of your employers time then the tool can be classed as yours alone
and your employer can form another contract with you re: the use of the tool
with updates etc.. you can get a nice little $ sum from that kind of thing.

However, if it states in your contract that all work you do within company
time and for company products/clients then effectively the IPS (Intellectual
Property Rights) are theirs as you are simply an assett of the company...

Best thing to do is [a] form some kind of agreement outlined in the para
above and leave on good terms with [a] your tool and [b] an existing
relationship with your employer for updates etc....  thats what I did.

Also everyone knows that encrypting tags is fruitless as with a little
search on Google you can get a decryptor in minutes!

Neil

p.s Why are you not sharing your tool?  I would love to have a look at it.

<!------------------------------
Neil Clark
Senior Web Applications Engineer
Spectra / CF / XML / Cerebro
Macromedia Alliance Partner
MCB Digital Limited
[T]: 020 8941 3232
[F]: 020 8941 4333
[M]: 07719 448 227
[E]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[www] www.fluidik.com

'A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as
something to aim at.'