This conversation is kind of humorous.... To me the bible is nothing more
than a collection of stories to help us live our lives better based on a
time long long ago. The problem is when people start taking the bible
literally and imposing those viewpoints on society. I find the following the
most useful quote from the bible:

Golden Rule: "He who has the gold, makes the rules!"....

Oh wait, the quote above is from George W. Bush... I meant to say,

Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Seems as though the Golden Rule is the best thing to walk away from the
bible with. Getting people to follow it, that's another story.