When I arrived here they had built an application in Perl, using an outside
contractor. The Perl was free (ActivePerl). The labor had soared upwards to
$140K, ending at $200K (yes, I know, I wanted to leave come back as a
contractor!) I took them "years" to complete. It is a total piece of junk.
The code is hodge podge at best, poorly documented, and slow. That I do NOT
blame on the programming language. Perl is fine for many things, like
printing forms and communicating to devices on the network.

The problem is it is slow to develop in and the learning curve is higher.
You can make up the cost of buying CF in no time. Perl is a cheap way to
LEARN programming but leaves much to be desired in day-to-day programming
speed and flexibility. If you run a business and need to knock these out
fast and at minimum cost, CF is the way to go.

Regards,

Gary McNeel, Jr.
Executive Director - DAC-Net
Rice University