I would argue that placing the 10 Commandments on government property
without the assumption that we need to place the 8-fold path, etc.
there, too, is inherently giving preferential treatment for Christianity.

Further, by classifying the 10 Commandments as a "historical document"
you open the door to judgement calls about what does and does not
classify as such.  At what point can you deny a request to have another
religious doctrine posted next to the 10C based on the idea that it is
not a document which is important to history?  Whose history?  How old
does it have to be to qualify as historical?

Sorry if I seem a bit ... overenthusiastic ... about this, but around
here, the 10C in schools was a big deal, and it still pisses me off that
others want to weasel their way around in order to dictate religion to
my family members.

--BenD