right?
They can't ... It would strip them of their amateur status.
Yes, there's plenty that have sponsors, but many more times that who
don't.
There are thousands of struggling young kids in this country who's
parents make just too much so that they cannot get scholarships.
Just because the opportunity is there - does not mean it presents itself
to all those that could take advantage of it.
If the Olympics are all about hope and dreams and young athletes making
it - then I DO NOT want to hear any sad sack stories about how mum and
dad did without to make sure to scrape together enough pennies to make
sure little daughter got to her skating lessons at 4:00 am every morning
100 miles away - when they are spending $45 million on a flame. They can
put that money back into scholarship funds and help those poor people
out a little. Sure it makes for good stories. Sure it's a testastment to
what people can do if they put their mind to it. But it is still a
shame!
THIS IS MY POINT - you seem to be missing it.
<shrugs>
I KNOW it's up to them. I KNOW there are plenty of programs out there
Won for the people that want to look for them.
I MERELY think it's atrocious at the amount of money - spent on a flame.
No matter what it's purpose.
>>| -----Original Message-----
>>| From: Won Lee
>>|
>>| That is where the NCAA and boosters step in. But
>>| seriously, I think
>>| athletes already get a lot. I am not writing they don't deserve it.
>>|
>>| If they want more funds they can go out and earn it. They
>>| live in a world
>>| that is more of a meritocracy than non-athletes live in.
[Todays Threads] [This Message] [Subscription] [Fast Unsubscribe] [User Settings] [Donations and Support]
