Actually Erika, that's not entirely true and hasn't been for some time.
Remember the first Dream Team at Barcelona in '92? I hardly think that
Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Shaquille O'Neal, Magic Johnson, etc could be
considered amateur. For years the Russians dominated Ice Hockey because they
were basically the Soviet (professional) All-Star team. I believe that any
restrictions on professional American athletes used to come from the USOC,
not the IOC. The athletes don't get paid to be IN the Olympics (as far as I
know) but there is no restriction on professional athletes participating.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erika L. Walker-Arnold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 8:55 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: WTF? $45 Million? (was RE: Olympic flame key in cannabis bust )

You realize that athletes that perform in the Olympics do not get paid
right?
They can't ... It would strip them of their amateur status.
Yes, there's plenty that have sponsors, but many more times that who
don't.
<http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=36>
[Todays Threads] [This Message] [Subscription] [Fast Unsubscribe] [User Settings] [Donations and Support]

Reply via email to