I find this to be repugnant: They signed up to be the good guys. To pay for
college. To learn a skill. To see the world. To get out of their little hick
town.

The families know full well when their son/daughters sign up for service
that they may die.

If my son ever wanted to serve the country and died in war, i'd bury him
with the highest of honors  because he was brave enough to die for what he
believed in.

Much more than I can say for most.

They signed up to defend their country. To do a job. Saying that does not
indicate an obvious lack of empathy for the dead, dying and wounded.

How do you know what my military background is? You know nothing about me.
How do you know what I've lost due to war? How do you know what my family
sacrificed in war.? JERK