The movie is nothing like the books.  The original plot (I read the books in
1980's, so cut me some slack if I am off a little) was that Treadstone was an
address in DC.  Jason Bourne was the code name for an agent who came up with a
plan to capture the Jackal who is in fact a real life assassin.  His plan was
to steal his kills, get him to come after "Bourne" and try to kill him.
Bourne did loose his memory and as he starts to look for his identify starts
to believe that he is a killer.  Hates himself for it, girl loves him and is
convinced that this doesn't jibe with the Bourne she has come to know ...Book
1 he finds himself.  Book 2 Jackal kills friends at Trend stone, etc..

Books are great.

Andy

My understanding was that Bourne is supposed to be something of an
ubermench.  He's supposed to be a bit faster than humanly possible.

But, then, I've never read the books.

Keeping in mind that I'm more of a SF person than a thriller or suspense
person, are they worth reading?

--Ben