While personally I find the whole "anybody but Bush" argument distasteful I
do think it's valid.

The main point of democracy is to try to elect those people that will best
suit your interests.  Right now a lot of people feel that "anybody" can do
that better than Bush.  What's not being said is that "anybody" is actually
pretty narrowly defined - they're really saying "anybody that makes it far
up the political ladder to actually be in a position to win over Bush".

A few months ago that "anybody" was whoever the Dems set forth, now it's
Kerry.

In other words it's not really a matter of "anybody" - that's just dramatic
speech.  If it were Bush vrs, say, Tom Metzger then (I hope!) Bush would win
by a huge majority attracting even the most liberal voters.

It's really more a matter of (some people) saying "we're willing to put out
faith in whoever the democrats put their faith in.  Considering the
alternative we're willing to trust their judgment in this."

But I still think that "just wanting to get rid of this guy" is a valid
motivation to vote.  It's not one I like to hear, but it's a lot more valid
than many I've heard.  (A friend of mine the other day actually told she's
voting for Bush because "he's so cute when he talks" - now that's gotta
trump basic contempt.)  ;^)

Jim Davis