Hi Andy,

Read the book below (by a Republican if that matters) and it will
explain why that philosophy is REALLY wrong.  Here's a quote from the
author:

"finally, we've got the so-called starve-the-beasters, you know, who
argue just the opposite of the supply-siders.  They argue that if you
cut taxes, of course, revenues will go down and then we'll get rid of
all those government benefit programs.  Well, I look at those guys and
I say, look, if you're so serious about cutting spending, why don't
you tell us now, tell us now what you're going to do particularly
about the big programs, Social Security, Medicare, and so forth,
because that's where the big bucks are."

"starve-the-beast" is just a way to make fiscal insanity look
conservative.  They're peeing on your leg and you believe them when
they tell you it's raining.

Running On Empty: How The Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting
Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It
by Peter G. Peterson

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0374252874/qid=1094151881/sr=ka-1/ref
=pd_ka_1/102-4122435-6576934

Peter G. Peterson--a lifelong Republican, chairman of the Blackstone Group,
and former secretary of commerce under Nixon--shatters the myths with hard
facts and a harrowing view of the twin deficit's real impact. Republicans
and Democrats alike have mortgaged America's future through reckless tax
cuts, out-of-control spending and Enron-style accounting in Congress. And
the situation will only get worse as the Baby Boom generation begins to
retire, making unprecedented demands on entitlement programs like Social
Security and Medicare. Despite what Bush says, we are on a path that could
end in economic meltdown, and we simply cannot grow out of the deficit.

When Bush came to office in 2001, the 10-year budget balance was officially
projected to be at a surplus of $5.6 trillion. But after three big tax cuts,
the bursting of the stock-market bubble, and the devastating effects of 9/11
on the economy, the surplus has evaporated, and the deficit is expected to
grow to $5-trillion over the next decade. The domestic deficit is only the
half of it. Given our $500 billion trade deficit and our anemic savings
rate, we depend on an unprecedented $2 billion of foreign capital every
working day. If foreign confidence were to wane, this could lead to the
dreaded hard landing.

In Running On Empty, Peterson sounds the warning bell and prescribes a set
of detailed solutions which, if implemented early, will prevent the need for
draconian measures later. He takes us behind the politicians'
smoke-and-mirror games, and forcefully explains what we must do to rescue
the future of our country.